Monday 3 October 2011

Who?

I'm not going to do a full review for The Wedding of River Song - to be honest, I'm so ambivalent about the finale that I don't know where to start. Tremendous fun yet disappointingly predictable in many ways, the ending was a dreadful cop-out. Yet the build-up was a joy, with some truly memorable scenes. I suspect it'll be more enjoyable on later rewatches, without the overbearing expectation and hype. As a single adventure, it delivered. As the culmination of two years of ongoing mystery, not so much.

Nonetheless, the slate has been, if not wiped clean, then giving a good scrub. With the Doctor pretending to be dead - not that it can really matter much to his enemies, when any of his earlier selves could pop up at any point in history - perhaps we'll get a more mysterious, less overt sort of Doctor hiding his interventions, like in the early days. I hesitate to make predictions, but the rallying cry of "Doctor who?" (guessed that was the question a while ago), along with "the Fall of the Eleventh," plus the upcoming fiftieth anniversary, suggests to me that in 2013, a mystery concerning the Doctor's origins will be revealed, and a regeneration will occur. I may well be wrong, but it seems plausible to me. Matt Smith is explicitly signed up for the anniversary, but there's no word on his carrying on any further...

No comments:

Post a Comment